Every language student wants to know the secret of making the most progress in the shortest time.
What does the perfect learner do to excel in acquiring a foreign language?
1: Learn every day
Even when you are really tired, do some learning, even if its only 5-10 mins. Never miss a chance to increase your knowledge. Use it, or lose it! Practice makes perfect.
2: Be motivated
What is your goal? Always think about your objective. You are learning because you want to achieve something. When you get there your life will be better. Always remember that, even when it’s tough.
3: Record new vocabulary
To really learn a new word, you have to remind yourself of it 6 times over hours, days and weeks. Write down all your new vocab in a little book that you can always carry around with you. Or keep a record in your mobile – you always have it with you, don’t you?
4: Read, read & read!
Read (in the foreign language) things that you like, not boring stuff. Notice new grammar patterns and important vocabulary. The more you read, the quicker you progress – it’s as simple as that.
5: Be brave
Don’t worry about small mistakes! No-one minds! When you learn new vocab or grammar, use it as soon as possible. If you are not 100% accurate, someone will correct you. Challenge yourself! Go for it!
6: Use technology
- Listen to podcasts of native speakers
- Do online tests checking your level & knowledge
- Read the news in your target language
- Watch videos in the target language
- Comment on articles & interact with blog authors
- Record yourself speaking with free audio software
- Make your own flashcards with online flashcard generators
- Play games in the target language
- Keep a permanent record of your new vocab in GoogleDrive