CHAPTER 2: CONSONANTS
UNIT 8: /s/
Practice reading the sounds below.
Your lips are stretched widely to produce a hissing sound.
Place your tongue behind your teeth, without touching them.
II. Practice: Sounds in Words
Listen and Repeat.
III. Practice: Words in Sentences
Read the following sentences, focusing on the words in RED.
1. Ronnie looks sad.
2. They want to see the blue sky.
3. She used the stairs to go up.
4. Andy got a low score in the exam.
5. Mom brought me sweet candies.
6. The fire caused a thick smoke.
7. I saw a snake in the grass.
8. The school bus arrived at 3pm.
IV. Application 1: Let’s Talk
Practice having a conversation with someone.
Tutor: Do you like the sunny weather?
Student: Yes. The sky is so clear.
Tutor: Let’s go to the sea and swim!
Student: The sea water is hot.
Tutor: I see. Even the sand is hot.
Student: Can we just eat?
Tutor: Sure. Do you know a restaurant nearby?
Student: Yes. There’s one across the bridge.
V. Practice: Tongue Twisters
1. Simon says stand still.
Solomon says sit straight.
2. Sarah sent six sweet strawberries.
Six sweet strawberries smell sour.