CHAPTER 1: Vowels
UNIT 1: /ʌ/ and /ɑ:/
Practice reading the sounds below.
Part your lips a little. Make sure your lips are relaxed.
Make the sound at the back of your throat.
Open your mouth wide. Let your jaws do the movement and keep your lips relaxed.
Similar sound as saying “ahhh” when you see a doctor.
II. Practice: Sounds in Words
Listen and Repeat.
III. Practice: Words in Sentences
Read the following sentences, focusing on the words in RED.
1. The sun is shining bright.
2. Jenna will brush her hair.
3. Paul opened the umbrella.
4. Cut the cake in half.
5. The football player broke his arm.
6. Sheila bought a scarf.
7. The child is afraid of the dark.
8. Mark’s house has a big yard.
IV. Application 1: Let’s Talk
Practice having a conversation with someone.
Tutor: Do you want to go to my farm?
Student: Yes, but the sun is bright today.
Tutor: We can put on some sunscreen.
Student: Let’s also bring an umbrella.
Tutor: Are we going by car?
Student: It’s faster to take the subway.
Tutor: Okay! I heard you have a new duck.
Student: Yes! There is a new mini park too!
V. Practice: Tongue Twisters
1. Hun took a huff and a puff in the sun,
Then, she cuts the bun for her son.
2. Parker’s task is to park the car at the duck farm.
Then, Parker needs to see a garlic artist in the dark barn fast.